Key concepts from class:
- What is the difference between direct characterization and indirect characterization?
- How can you use the STEAL method to analyze an author’s indirect characterization?
- Describe different kinds of characters: protagonist, antagonist, major, minor, foil, round vs. flat, dynamic vs. static
- Analyze the characters from Flannery O’Connor’s story “A Good Man is Hard to Find”
In-class reading: excerpts from Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters
- Why does Claribel buy the bon bons in Baum’s story?
- What makes the traveler sad in Dickens’ story?
- When were you most interested in the stories? Why? Please write out your answer to question 3 and bring it to the next class.
Class announcement: The course packet will be available at the copy center by Friday afternoon. This packet will contain all of the readings for the semester.