Key concepts from class:
- What are the most important themes and motifs from Araby?
- What are some stylistic elements in Araby?
- Be familiar with: figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, cliché, hyperbole, allusion, ), sentence structure, vocabulary, time, and tone
In-class reading: William Blake – A Poison Tree
Homework: Read Flannery O’Connor’s short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find”, available at http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~surette/goodman.html.
- What does Red Sam mean by “a good man”? Is that the idea that you have of “a good man”? Does your idea of it change throughout the story?
- Foreshadowing is when an author hints at a later event in the story. Do you see any elements of foreshadowing?
- Pay attention to how the author introduces each character. What are the characters’ relationships with each other? What do they think about each other?